Preparing a USB flash drive for reimaging an Synergy Composer appliance
IMPORTANT: Hewlett Packard Enterprise recommends that you prepare a USB flash drive immediately after installing and after updating the appliance firmware so that you always have a USB flash drive that matches the currently installed version of the appliance image. For environments with multiple versions, create separate USB drives, one for each version.
• Computer running either Linux or a Microsoft Windows operating system
• USB flash drive with 4 GB of memory, or greater
• Internet connection
Preparing a USB drive for reimaging an appliance
8 Removal and replacement procedures
1. Identify the version of the appliance image.
(HPE Synergy Composer) View the firmware version on the Appliance panel of the HPE OneView
(HPE Synergy ImageStreamer) View the firmware version:
• In the appliance maintenance console using the View option.
• In HPE OneView, view the Installed firmware version for Member Appliance by using the OS
Deployment Servers screen. Under General, select the link to the deployment server interface, then
select Deployment Appliances.
The firmware version that is displayed is the version of the image that you will download in step 5 and
include on the USB drive.
2. Insert the USB flash drive in the computer USB port.
3. If necessary, delete any unnecessary partitions to ensure adequate disk space.
4. Format the USB flash drive for one FAT32 or W95 FAT32 partition using these guidelines:
• For a Linux operating system, use /sbin/fdisk /dev/sdx command, where x represents the
numerical drive of the USB port used.
• For a Windows operating system, right-click the USB icon in the Computer window and select
• Specify a label for your USB drive. It can be any name you want, except EMBEDDED, which is a
reserved name. Consider using the date as part of the label.
• Create only one primary partition. Delete any existing partitions.
• If prompted, specify the following parameters:
◦ Capacity: maximum value
◦ Allocation unit size: 4096 bytes
◦ First and last block: default values
5. Download the recovery image (.zip file) from the website http://www.hpe.com/downloads/Synergy.
The recovery image that you download must match the version determined in step 1. Make sure that
you download the complete image for recovery for the USB. The firmware update for existing images
does not contain a complete image.
6. Unzip the compressed image.
7. Copy the contents of the image file to the USB flash drive.
IMPORTANT: Do not rename the files.
8. Optionally, remove the USB flash drive and store it for future use.
Powering up the appliance
If the appliance is removed and reinserted, it will power up automatically.
To restart or reset the appliance manually, you can perform either of the following steps:
Removal and replacement procedures
• Use the applicator to press the pinhole button (located inside of the Power/Reset LED indicator) for 10 seconds or less.
Use this method if you have a multienclosure setup and the appliance you want to
power up is in the remote enclosure.
• Power it on through the user interface. For more information, see “Powering on the appliance
through the user interface.” This method does not work if you have a multienclosure setup and the
appliance you want to power up is in the remote enclosure.